This project was one of four project in the course Industrial Excellence, KPP319 where one part of the examination was to perform an improvement study of a real industrial production processThis project was performed at ICA central warehouse in Västerås. The financial situation on the market today is anything but stable and the competition is getting harder for ICA. Therefore they need to make improvements on several areas in Västerås. The part that this project will focus on is the packing of the roller cages which distributes groceries, not directly to ICA grocery stores, but to other regional ware-houses where they are cross docked and forwarded to the grocery stores.The objective of this project was to analyze the packing process of the roller cages as well as to model and simulate proposed automatic solution of the same. The goal was to answer the following questions:
- Will there be an economical profit or loss with using an automated solution in-stead of manual picking and packing?
- Will there be any time savings with using an automated solution instead of man-ual picking and packing?
- Will the production capacity increase or decrease with using an automated solu-tion instead of manual picking and packing?
- Will there be an increase or decrease in errors (due to wrongly packed orders) with using an automated solution instead of manual picking and packing?
- Will there be ergonomic gains for the personnel with using an automated solution instead of manual picking and packing?
- Is it possible to increase the filling rate of the roller cages? If so, by how much?